[stanford_status] Dec 11, Mon - Chemo starting right now

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Mon Dec 11 14:01:46 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

We're in Dr.O'Shea's clinic right now and Stanford just started
receiving an infusion of Gemzar (gemcitabine).  The premed infusion
was 30 minutes of Zofran to help control nausea.  The gemcitabine
infusion is also 30 minutes.  Stanford is really tired right now and
is sleeping.  This same treatment will be done once a week for three
weeks and then a week off to let the body rest.  The gemcitabine has
all the same side effects of the other drugs Stanford has already
received so he might lose his hair that recently started growing
back.  His blood counts will be carefully monitored.

The last couple of nights have been somewhat rough.  Stanford woke
up with break through pain Saturday night about 2:45 AM.  One
milliliter (1 ml) of the liquid oxycodone (ETH) equivalent to 20 mg
in pill form worked in about 20 minutes to ease the pain.  Sunday
night Stanford woke up with pain about 12:45 AM.  He received 1.0 ml
of the ETH, but the pain kept increasing so another 1.0 ml of ETH
was given at 1:15 AM.  This controlled the pain.  He gets really
stiff in his back from being in one position all the time and needs
back rubs to loosen up.  Needless to say, Joyce and I aren't get
much sleep either, but we're dealing with it.

Stanford was able to go to the Nativity Pageant on Saturday and went
to church on Sunday.  Some school friends visited Sunday afternoon
and brought a really cool Sponge Bob cake.  Pictures of that and the
awesome edible bouquet sent by Stanford's employer TCC are on the
website at http://StanfordLarsen.org.

Stanford seems to perk up around 10:00 PM, which annoys him because
it's so late and everyone else needs to be getting to bed.  We're
hoping the schedule will settle down into a more convenient routine.
John's sister Lori returned home to Utah this morning.

Dr. O'Shea examined Stanford this morning and then asked him if he
felt up to starting chemo.  Stanford emphatically said, "Yes.
That's the pilot of the miracle plane.  We can't fly without a
pilot."  Stanford wanted to start last Friday and was anxious about
waiting three more days to start.

Thanks to all of your for your support, thoughts, and prayers.  It
does make a difference.

John