[stanford_status] Dec 14, Thu - More time awake, pain is low

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Thu Dec 14 17:29:22 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

Stanford has been awake a lot more today than previous days during
the daytime.  His pain levels have also been very low.  A massage
therapist gave him a thorough massage today that helped him relax
all the tense spots.  This afternoon we finished watching the movie
"Freaky Friday".

Fluid build up is continuing.  The nurse explained that in advanced
cancer patients there is fluid build up.  The liver is getting very
large and it puts pressure on the lymphatic system so that it can't
drain properly.  This results in fluid being trapped in the
extremities and the groin area.  There really isn't much that can be
done other than positioning his body to allow these areas to drain.
He had a two hour nap this afternoon with feet higher than his head.
This helped a lot draining those locations.

The words "advanced cancer patient" are scary sounding.  We keep
praying and depending on the Lord that Stanford's body will hold
together long enough for the cycles of gemcitabine to start killing
the tumors and reversing this whole process.  We know a young man
who also has "small round blue cell tumor" (in his case it's Ewing
sarcoma) who received gemcitabine earlier this year.  It took 4 to 6
weeks for a marked response to show up and his tumors have all
disappeared.  As you may remember, Stanford's cancer is of unknown
type, but it is in the "small round blue cell" category.  Stanford's
second round of gemcitabine will be Monday morning, Dec 18th.

He was up during the night for an hour at 1:50 AM.  He was up again
at 4:37 AM for about 70 minutes and got caught up reading all his
email.  It had been several days since he went through email.  He
appreciates the emails he has received, but probably won't be taking
the time to answer them personally.  He was up at 8:30 AM for his
medications and stayed awake until 3:30 PM.

Joyce was running an errand at Target yesterday and also checked to
see if they had any Wii remotes and nunchuks.  Finally success!
This is the first store that has had any.  She bought three and
Stanford got them as an early Christmas present.  This morning he
got them out of the packages and now we can play 5 player bomber
man!  Pictures of Stan preparing the Wii remotes are at
http://StanfordLarsen.org along with pictures of the gaming club
yesterday playing Magic with Stanford in our kitchen.

As always, we thank you for your continued thoughts, prayers,
encouragement, and support.

John