[stanford_status] Still sleeping

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Thu Nov 23 08:33:42 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

Everyone in our house is still asleep right now, exhausted and
drained.  I'm up after giving Stanford his latest dose of oxycontin
at 8:05.  He is supposed to have 20 mg every 8 hours.  It should
have been at 6:00 AM but I didn't wake up and neither did he.  He
was up at 1:45 AM in a lot of pain.  At that time I gave hime 10 mg
of oxycodone to deal with the break through pain and he was able to
get back to sleep.  He told me that he was also up at 6:45 AM but
was able to go back to sleep.

Our Thanksgiving plans are to share it with the Wilson family who
live very close to us.  The Wilson and Larsen families are very dear
friends.  We are so grateful for their help the last two days.  They
dropped everything and their whole family stayed with us up in
Lebanon, NH the whole time we were at DHMC.  Phillip and Julia
stayed with them Tuesday night in a motel up there.

Words can't express how much we appreciate the tremendous outpouring
of love and support from all of you.  Let's keep praying and hoping.
We need Stanford to get stronger and the bleeding to stop.  I
haven't talked with Stanford yet about continuing chemo treatments
and starting the gemcitabine.  The doctors don't want to give him
chemo while he is "ill" because it will make him sicker.  However,
if we don't try chemo then Stanford will inevitably die.  The
doctors hold very little hope that the gemcitabine will be effective
at all.  I'm pretty sure that Stanford will want to try even though
it could make him feel sick and could shorten his remaining time.
Stanford has never been a quitter.  His courage amazes me.

I'm so sorry that all this is happening at a time that should be of
joy and happiness with family and friends.  I begin to ramble again.
May you all have an enjoyable Thanksgiving with your families and
friends.  Treasure the time.

John