[stanford_status] Status for Tuesday, Nov 28th

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Tue Nov 28 15:43:18 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

It was a rather difficult night.  Stanford started experiencing lots
of pain in his right side and right shoulder around midnight.  He
had had his two 5 mg oxycodone at 11:00 PM.  He was awake and
talking with me the whole time telling little word jokes and his
humor showed through.  At 1:30 AM I decided it was time to call the
urgent care number at the hospice service we are using, but I didn't
know where the number was!  Joyce had taken care of all that paper
work.  I tried the number on the caller ID and it just rang and
rang.  Finally I found the paper work and made the call.  The nurse
analyzed the situation and said it would be okay to give Stanford
another oxycodone even though it was only two hours since the last
one.  His current dosing apparently is about half of what he could
have.  The extra 5 mg of oxycodone kicked in after about 30 minutes
and Stanford's pain eased up considerably.  By 3:00 AM he was able
to sleep and finally so was I.

Part of the hospice care involves an "emergency kit" of medications
for different situations.  When we call the urgent care number the
nurse we talk to can direct us which medications to use for the
situation at hand.  If the oxycodone hadn't cut the pain within an
hour then in the emergency kit we have a liquid form of fast acting
oxy that can be given.

Stanford's heart rate was 120 this morning.  He was running a low
fever of 99.4 at about 8:30 AM.  I haven't checked it since then.

A nurse and social worker from the hospice agency visited today.  We
discussed lots of different things.  Dr. O'Shea is Stanford's
primary care physician now that we're in Nashua.  He directed a
change in Stanford's pain management.  He will now be receiving 40
mg of oxycontin every 12 hours.  The oxycodone for break through
pain will still be at the same level.  Overall this will provide a
higher level of pain medication in his system and hopefully make him
more comfortable.  It will also make him more tired.

The nurse took blood samples for lab work.  We don't know the
results yet.  Dr. O'Shea wants to see Stanford in his office some
time this week, but we don't know when yet.

He has been sleeping quite a bit today, but has also been checking
email, playing his Wii, and surfing the web some, especially looking
at the latest stuff at http://homestarrunner.com where StrongBad and
friends hang out.

Stanford hasn't liked how he has been so restless and unable to
sleep at night so he somewhat forced himself to stay awake yesterday
evening.  (It didn't really help him sleep later that night.)  He
and Heather had arranged to play a game of Magic the Gathering, so
he was insistent on going down into the basement where all his magic
cards are piled around so he could get certain cards he wanted for
the game.  We cleared out space for his wheelchair and brought it
down.  He spent time working on the deck while Heather and I dropped
off her car at the shop to get a leaking water pump replaced.  When
we got home Stanford was ready to go back upstairs.  He and Heather
then got on his bed with a board between them and played.  You can
see them playing in the second picture (IMG_2986) at:

http://larsen-family.us/pictures/2006/cd6/2006_11_27_-
_Visit_from_friends_-_Playing_Magic_with_Heather

Some school and church friends arranged visits on Sunday:

http://larsen-family.us/pictures/2006/cd6/2006_11_26_-
_Visits_from_friends

We take things a day at a time.  Thanks for your continued support,
thoughts and prayers.

John