[stanford_status] Disappointing results

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Fri Sep 1 22:51:24 EDT 2006

Hello Everyone,

As you know, Stanford went back to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) today for a CT scan
to assess the effectiveness of his last two chemotherapy treatments.  The anticipated results were no
growth in the size of the tumors and possibly shrinkage.  Unfortunately that was not the case.  The
tumors have grown  larger.  There are no new visible ones, just the ones on the dome of the liver.

Stanford, Joyce and I spoke with Dr. Sara Chaffee on our speaker phone when she called this evening
with the results.  Because of Stanford's age the treatment chosen assumed the tumor was a sarcoma
because that is more common in children.  Stanford is on the line between child and adult.  After
consulting with the adult oncologists they are now approaching the tumor like it is a carcenoma, which is
more prevalent in adults.  This means the drugs used are different.  They use Docetaxel, Carboplatin, and
Cisplatin.

After discussions with Dr. Chaffee a course of action was decided upon.  Next Friday, September 8th
(also our 27th anniversary), Joyce, Stanford, and I will go back up to DHMC where he will start treatment
with Cisplatin.  This is normally given on an outpatient basis, but Stanford will probably be admitted this
first time.  One side effect of Cisplatin is extreme nausea.  Patients generally stay in the area overnight
after treatment.  If they become very sick they come back for anti-nausea treatment.  If the patient is
feeling okay they go home the next day.  It is very important to have lots of liquids during treatment
because kidney damage is a possible side effect.  Blood counts aren't lowered as much with these
treatments so typically there isn't a need for the Neulasta.  Treatment is every three weeks.  The current
plan is that Stanford will have a couple of treatments and then have another CT scan to see what is
happening.

Stanford's attitude is good and upbeat.  He has put on more weight and is up to 144 pounds.  He knows
that he is going to be around for a long time and has lots of work to do.  Joyce is having a very difficult
time dealing with all this.  The stress is almost overwhelming for her.  I tend to compartmentalize it and
try not to dwell on it, but of course I'm very concerned.  I'll probably cry in the shower tomorrow.  So, the
journey continues!

Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers,

John