[stanford_status] Restless night and ramblings on the past day

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Sun Nov 26 05:30:28 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

This is going to be a rambling email.  It's 4:33 AM and I've been
awake with Stanford all night long.  He has been very restless.
We've talked about lots of different things.  He was running a fever
of 100.3 when he went to bed.  He took off his shirt and every hour
his temperature has dropped back down.  He seems normal now.  His
heart rate has really gone up.  Just lying in bed it is about 160.
He got up to use the bathroom about 30 minutes ago and the rate
stayed about the same but the strength of the beats increased a lot.

He drifts in and out of sleep.  Sometimes when he talks it is a
little off topic at times.  When he was up and moving around a bit
earlier he was more awake and conversation was clear.

When I noticed his really high heart rate I woke up Joyce so she
could come in and be with him.  He said, "Mommy get in bed with me."
She has been in there with him and he likes that.  She just went
back to her own bed (4:49 AM) because it was getting too crowded.

On Saturday Stanford slept until about 10:00 AM and then said he
needed to get started on the day.  He had breakfast and then wanted
to play with his Wii.  He activated his new Visa debit card from his
newly opened credit union checking account so that he could buy "Wii
Points" from the online Wii store using money he has earned at his
part time job.  With Wii points you can buy games online that get
downloaded to your Wii console.  He bought the original Mario
Brothers and "Bomber Man 93".  It is nostalgic watching those old
games be played.

While Stanford was getting the Wii points Jennifer Seusing,
Principal of Nashua High School South, came by to visit with him.
She had talked with him a couple days ago on the phone and asked if
there were anything she could do for him.  He asked if she had the
senior DVD and high school graduation from last June.  She found one
and brought it over, which we really appreciated.  (As some of you
may remember, Stanford attended his high school graduation between
emergency room visits that were the start of this whole experience
we're currently living.)  She learned a lot about the Wii and
watched some of the old games being played.  She bent down to give
Stanford a hug when she was leaving, but Stanford said, "I need to
do this right" and got out of his wheelchair to give her a proper
hug.

After Mrs. Seusing left Stanford watched some of the graduation
video.  We saw him come across the stage and get his diploma.  We
watched him wave his arms as if casting a spell.  He had planned to
have a wand to wave and something to throw down to make a bang, but
the first emergency room visit had put a damper on his plans.  At
the end of graduation when all the balloons are coming down he had a
party blower in his mouth and was blowing it in and out in time with
the music.  There were several seconds of him doing that on the
video.  That's the part that he had most wanted to see because he
had heard about it from many different people.

On Saturday afternoon a whole bunch of visitors came, mostly
starting at 5:00 PM.  I made sure he had a nap starting at 3:30.  It
had been prearranged for some of the visitors to come at 5:00 PM.
Once they showed up I got Stanford up.  They kept coming in waves.
At one point there were so many people here that they couldn't get
in the living room and spilled out into the hallway.  The first wave
left and the others got into the room. It is very heart warming to
see how much love everyone has for Stanford.

At 6:00 PM Stanford's Sunday School class came over for an "I Love
Isaiah" party.  Their class has been studying the Old Testament this
year and the last few months have been focusing on Isaiah.  The
culminating event was this party that had been planned to be held in
a different location.  The other kids had said that if Stanford
couldn't come that they didn't want to have the party.  Their
teacher was anxious for Stanford to be able to attend and so were
we.  They moved the location to our house.  So, for two hours the
party was in full force.  What a blessing it is to have such good
friends.

Once the party was over Stanford wanted to play a game of "Magic the
Gathering", a card game that he really loves.  Stanford and his two
brothers, Bradford and Phillip, along with two friends from the
Isaiah party played one game.  By then Stanford was really tuckered
out and headed for bed.

It's now 5:23 AM.  Stanford is sleeping restlessly.  He wants to go
to church tomorrow.  Our church meetings start at 11:00 AM.  At
first he had planned on taking a shower, but that would take so much
energy that I suggested he just get up and get dressed.

In the morning he wants Apple Crisp for breakfast.  All my kids say
that I make the "world's best applecrisp".  It takes awhile to
prepare, so I'll need to start soon.  Bradford also wants apple
crisp before he heads back to UNH at 11:00 AM.  Joyce's brother and
wife are also leaving us Sunday.  It will be hard to have all these
partings at this time.

Well, I just wanted to share a little of how this day has gone.
Again I've gone a night with hardly any sleep.  I don't want to miss
any time with my boy.

Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers.  We could sure use a
miracle right now and we're praying for it.

John