[stanford_status] Jan 10, Wed - Some good days

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Wed Jan 10 13:35:36 EST 2007

Hello Everyone,

Stanford's next chemo appointment (round 5 of gemcitabine) is
scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, Jan 11th, Thursday.

Stanford has been having good days since my last update of Jan 7th.
He hasn't needed any break through pain medication at all.  In
previous weeks he often had pain in his right shoulder and right
side.  For several days he hasn't noticed any pain in his side and
any shoulder pain has been ositional, which has gone away by
shifting position.  The hospice nurse came yesterday and I asked her
to evaluate the white's of his eyes.  She said his eyes look clear
to her.  The yellowish tint is no longer there.  His skin also seems
less yellow to me and Joyce.

Stanford has had longer periods of alert time and has been sleeping
better the last couple of nights.  His appetite is good, but his
stomach still can't hold much so he eats small amounts.  He gets
queasy after some types of food, but hasn't thrown up at all and the
feeling eventually passes.  Swelling is still an issue and his legs
and groin still have lots of extra fluid.  He needs support walking
around.  His energy level is up some, but he is still very weak.  He
had a shower yesterday, which requires someone in the shower to help
him (me), but he loved soaking in the warm water for almost an hour.

The skin on his back is really fragile from being in bed all the
time.  I didn't realize how fragile it is until Monday when he asked
me to scratch his back through his shirt.  I scratched with my
normal pressure, but it was too vigorous for his skin, and now he
has bruises all over his back.  I felt terrible about it, but he
said not to worry and that he can't feel it at all.

Stanford is interested in getting a walker so that he can walk
around the house on his own.  The massage therapist/nurse came today
and said that someone from OT or PT will need to come to the house
to evaluate the situation.  Hopefully that will happen soon.

Positive signs always help us feel optimistic.  We continue to hope
and pray and know that the Lord can do all things.  We thank you for
your continued encouragement, support, and prayers.

John