[stanford_status] June 12 - One year ago today...

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Tue Jun 12 08:13:35 EDT 2007

Hello Everyone,

Today Joyce and I are traveling up to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical
Center (DHMC) in Lebanon, NH.  This is where Stanford received a lot
of his treatments.  We wanted to visit with the doctors and staff
today and thank them for all their efforts and concern in Stanford's
behalf.  Hopefully this is the last time that we will need to go
there, but it is comforting to know that DHMC and other facilities
are available when we need them.  They successfully help thousands
of people every year.  Unfortunately, in Stanford's case it was his
time to go.

One year ago today, June 12th, is when everything changed.  It
wasn't appendicitis as we feared; rather, it was much worse,
something no one is ever prepared for... cancer.  Stanford underwent
emergency abdominal surgery to remove a tumor, and we all know the
rest.  Twenty weeks ago today Stanford passed away.

We are all still learning from this experience.  We miss Stanford
very much, but are grateful for his example of faith, hope, and
optimism.  A granite bench will be dedicated in his honor at Nashua
High School South (NHSS).  The short saying carved in the bench
below his name, birth and death dates, is "He will always be
Stantastic".  We hope that is how he will always be remembered.

Tomorrow evening is the NHSS annual awards ceremony.  The "Stanford
Mark Larsen Memorial Scholarship" will be awarded for the first time
to the chosen student.  This will be an annual event.

Life goes on,

John