[stanford_status] Two Years

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Fri Jan 23 06:37:54 EST 2009

Hello Everyone,

Time marches on inexorably.  Today, Jan 23, 2009, marks two years
since Stanford passed away and was freed from the pain and suffering
of his cancer ridden body.  I think of him everyday.  He is usually
in my waking thoughts.  This experience continues to help me
recognize what is most important in life, and helps me to be more
patient and tolerant during life's difficulties and challenges.

I hope you all have fond memories of Stanford.  His website
http://StanfordLarsen.org is still online.  You can visit there
whenever you would like to be reminded of him.

The Stanford Mark Larsen Memorial Scholarship fund continues to grow
slowly. We are thankful to all who have contributed to the
scholarship fund since it was established in February 2007.  We're
getting closer to the goal of $10,000 at which point the fund can
become a perpetual fund.  As of Sept 30, 2008, after being awarded
twice, the balance is $8737.  You can get more information here:

     http://stanfordlarsen.org/scholarship

Below is a poem that I like.  I read it at my father's funeral last
April.  I'm sure Stanford was one of the first to greet his
Grandfather when he passed to the other side.

What is Dying?

I am standing on the sea shore.
A ship at my side spreads her
white sails in the morning breeze
and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and I
stand and watch her until at last
she fades on the horizon.

Then someone at my side says
There, she has gone -
Gone where?
Gone from my sight - that is all
She is just as large in the mast,
hull and spars as she was
when she left my side....

The diminished size
and total loss of sight
is in me and not in her,
and just at the moment when
someone by my side says
"She is gone"
others take up the glad shout
"There she comes"

Wishing everyone a prosperous and healthy new year,

John