[stanford_status] Stabilized. Coming home. Walking the tight rope.

John R Larsen john at larsen-family.us
Wed Nov 22 13:24:51 EST 2006

Hello Everyone,

Stanford's blood work from 10:00 AM showed his hemogloben is at 8.0,
which is down a little from previous tests.  He is still oozing
blood, but at this point he is stable enough to come home.
Arrangements are still underway, but the plan is to have him return
home by ambulance.  Before he leaves they will give him a unit of
blood to "pump" him up a bit.

There is going to be a lot involved in his care.  Home hospice will
be used.  They are on call 24/7 to answer questions as needed.  They
will come daily to draw blood for lab work.  A pain control plan has
been set up.  Stanford will be on oxycontin, one every 8 hours, to
maintain control.  He will use oxycodone for any episode of "break
through" pain that might come up.

Many of you have been to our tiny house and know that we have a lot
of people stuffed into not much space.  It is possible that we will
need to put a hospital bed in the house to make it easier for
Stanford.  We'll probably remove a lot of stuff from the boys' room
to make space for it there.  We will also have a wheel chair to take
in the van if Stanford isn't feeling up to walking when we go
places.

Thank all you so much for your concern and expressions of love and
support.  It means a great deal to us.  I forward most of your
emails to both Stanford and Joyce so they can read them too.

Thanks to all those who made the long trip up yesterday to visit
with us.  It made a HUGE difference for Stanford.  One of his major
concerns about being in the hospital up here is that no one will
visit him because it is so far away.  Back in August when he and
Joyce were up here for 5 days he was terribly lonely and that made a
lasting impression on him.  Stanford is a social kid and needs
friends and family.  When we're back in Nashua, please call and talk
with Stanford and arrange a visit if you so desire.  Our home phone
number is 603-886-0473 and we're in the book.

At this point they won't start up any chemotherapy.  They need to
let some time go by to see how he does.  They hold very little hope
for the gemcitabine to have any effect even if it is given.
However, that is where the miracles come in.  It is all in the
Lord's hands and His will will be done.

Stanford's care will be done as much as possible in Nashua.  Dr.
James O'Shea will be the local oncologist for his care.  There may
be more emergency room visits.  Stanford is outside any profile they
have so everything is in the unknown.  We are grateful for each and
every day.  Ambulance calls may be in our future.

Joyce's brother "Uncle Stanford" and his wife "Aunt Robin" flew in
yesterday and came up from Logan to the hospital about 3:00 AM.
Stanford was named after his uncle.  We had a nice visit with them.
They will stay until Sunday.  Joyce's parents will be coming next
Tuesday.  It will be so good to see them after many years.

I need to get back to the family.

John